Take your guest experience from average to amazing by equipping your vacation rental property with useful Airbnb essentials. Make sure your guests feel right at home by providing all the utensils, equipment and bits and bots they could wish for.
Successful hosts understand the importance of supplying the basic amenities and Airbnb must-haves, along with those special little extras that can make all the difference. So, what should you include in your Airbnb essentials? Let’s find out…
There are a couple of Airbnb essentials you must provide if you want to even consider renting out a vacation rental property to paying guests:
All standard utilities
Make sure the basics are covered – heating, air-con, lighting, water (especially hot water as and when needed, no-one likes a cold shower)!
Hygiene and bedding basics:
The Airbnb help center also suggests you supply a couple of rolls of toilet paper, soap, one towel for each guest, one pillow for each guest and clean bed linen too.
If you want to encourage guests to keep your pad clean you could also provide a vacuum, broom, dustpan and brush and mop. Although we can’t promise they will use any of those!
Unless you’re promoting your vacation rental as the perfect place for a digital detox, a reliable wireless internet connection is a must for the majority of guests.
Safety Airbnb essentials
Health and safety are of paramount importance – providing key safety essentials is a must. Here are a few standard amenities you should consider:
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Smoke alarm
- Fire extinguisher and fire blanket
- First aid kit
- Child safety measures e.g. stairgate, window locks, fireguard.
- List of emergency contact numbers, just in case!
The lounge should provide the perfect place for enjoying a spot of rest and relaxation. Make your guests feel comfortable by providing the following Airbnb essentials:
- Comfortable sofa and chairs
- Soft furnishings e.g. curtains, rugs, and cushions
- A couple of throws to add coziness on cold nights
- A TV (with access to cable / Netflix etc)
- A lamp
After a long and busy day, your guests will want to retire to a restful bedroom, where they can turn down the crisp, clean bedding and enjoy a decent night’s sleep. Here are the Airbnb essentials they would like to see in their room:
- A robust bed with a comfortable mattress
- At least one pillow per person (ideally two)
- Mattress topper and pillow protectors for added hygiene
- Spotless bedding (sheets, duvet cover, and pillowcases)
- Extra blankets (for chilly evenings)
- A lamp for reading
- A wardrobe and drawers (or somewhere to store their clothes)
- A full-length mirror
Some guests prefer to eat out a lot when away from home. For others, cooking up a storm in the kitchen is a hobby they like to indulge when they get the time. Make sure you have all the Airbnb kitchen essentials to hand for your hungry guests, including:
- Cooking appliances such as a cooker, hob, and microwave
- Fridge (a small freezer compartment comes in handy for ice)
- Kettle and toaster
- Bin and bin bags
- Iron and ironing board
- Kitchen utensils, e.g. knives, chopping board, mixing bowl, grater, peeler, etc.
- Cleaning items, e.g. cloths, tea-towels, washing up liquid, surface cleaner
- Cookware such as pots, pans, microwavable dishes, etc.
Every guest expects a clean bathroom as standard, make sure yours is stocked with all the Airbnb essentials to make them feel welcome:
- Toilet rolls, toilet brush, air freshener
- Clean towels
- Bathroom shelf or cabinet
- Well-lit mirror
- Anti-slip bath mat
- A few Airbnb toiletries if budget allows e.g. shampoo, shower gel, etc.
Guests will appreciate the use of any pleasant outdoor space during the stay. Make it even nicer by adding a few Airbnb essentials:
- Planters filled with plants, shrubs or flowers
- Weed-free paths and a clean yard / lush lawn
- Outdoor lighting at the front and back
- Outdoor toys e.g. trampoline, swing, basketball hoop
- Patio table, umbrella, and chairs
- Reclining chairs or loungers
- Picnic rug
Additional Airbnb Amenities To Make Your Guests Smile
Don’t just meet guest expectations, go one further and exceed them! There are numerous Airbnb essentials you can add to the mix to really improve the overall experience of your guests. Make it easier on yourself by creating a handy Airbnb host checklist for the different guests that come to stay:
Airbnb essentials for families
Families have a wide range of needs, and these can often vary depending on the age of those traveling. Parents with babies and toddlers appreciate their lives being made easier by the availability of equipment. While parents with older children will appreciate items to keep their kids entertained. A few ideas:
- Child safety features (as previously described in the health and safety section)
- Baby equipment such as a cot, stroller, high-chair, etc.
- Television, game console & games
- Books, board-games, toys, and jigsaws
- Beach items if applicable e.g. bucket and spade, windbreaker, kite
Must-haves for business travelers
- Laptop friendly workspace or desk
- Lots of power/charging points
- Comfortable chair
- Decent lighting and a lamp
- Reliable and fast wireless connection
- Business travelers might also appreciate self-check-in for convenience
Amenities for pet-friendly accommodation
- A water bowl/feeding bowl
- Pet bed
- Pet toys
- Old towels for drying off wet dogs!
- Designated pet walking area with bags and garbage receptacles
Have you got all your Airbnb essentials covered?
It’s time to get organized and get your Airbnb guest-ready. Check you have all the essentials and Airbnb supplies your guests need – from the basics right through to the little extras that will make their trip more memorable.
It’s also worth preparing a welcome book with lots of useful info – from how to work the TV remote to where to find the best pub in the area! You can include emergency contact numbers, useful information (such as the nearest bank), maps, timetables for public transport, menus and leaflets detailing local attractions.
If time and budget allow you could even go that one step further and create a welcome hamper containing wine and chocolates, or leave fresh flowers. It’s worth going the extra mile. A great guest experience can lead to good feedback – and positive reviews help to build your reputation and boost interest and bookings.